Decorating Our Christmas Tree

12/12/11



Our big tree is done. Decorated with all 50 and 60's ornaments and garland. I even found the real metal tinsel.
I wanted this tree to be something that would bring a smile to my husbands heart. He was so darn cute teaching our son the how to of 'tinsel tossing'.



When I was a child, my Grandparents lived in Florida. So far away from us...
 Grandma would spend all year making beautiful Christmas ornaments. She'd send them off right after Thanksgiving. My sister, brother and I would stare out the window..waiting for that brown UPS truck to pull up. We'd run about screaming and jumping for joy as box after box was brought to the house!


In those boxes where loads of presents...already wrapped with bows (slightly mushed from the trip) and all ready for placement under the tree. 
Another box would hold the wonderful ornaments that she had spent so much time on.
The pin and sequin ornaments, like the one in the previous picture, were my favorites.
The sparkle when the light hit them was mesmerizing.


I can't imagine all the time and love Grandmother put into them. And every year she would send us more. We had boxes and boxes stored in the attic..but sadly, the years and the weather took there toll on them...none could be saved. I was so heartbroken.  I made it my mission to find these beautiful ornaments that had been made by other's hands. I wanted just a little piece of Grandma with me at Christmas. 



Now our tree is full of old blown ornaments from Germany such as the one above..




sweet little felt ornaments...





And the beautiful pin and sequin ornaments like Grandma made.
This gaudy, over decorated tree brings a smile to our hearts every time we look at it. 
I'm sure Grandma would be pleased.

I hope your decorating is going along happily.
Much love,
Paula

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I'm so excited to find your blog!!! I ran across your beautiful Christmas tree on interest. I did mine this year with all 50s and 60s Shiny Brites, vintage tinsel and icicles too. Can't wait to look around some more!!

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger